Sunday, August 12, 2007

An amazing story!

Hi! It is 5:20am Monday morning, and I have finally straightened things out in my hotel room. I got a great night's sleep and I am looking forward to today's activities with my group. We will be visiting 2 different Compassion International projects. One focuses on prenatal care for babies through 5 years old. In developing countries, the mortality rate is high for babies. This project is so important as it truly cares for the needs of the moms and babies. The other project is younger children.
Last night one of our group members had a special visit from a kid he had sponsored many years ago. The kid is now 30 years old, and had looked up "Daddy Todd" on the internet and found him, it had been 17 years since their last communication! Elmer spoke about how impacted he was by the sponsorship from Todd. It was a tear jerker for sure. Elmer is now a successful photographer in the part of the Philippines where he lives. It was so heart warming to see Todd and Elmer together sharing their story.

Sunday we went to church at Green Hills Christian Fellowship in Manila. It is on a couple of floors in a high rise builing in the city. It was amazing to worship God with fellow believers in a different country! The pastor was very passionate when he spoke, and I really enjoyed his sermon from Proverbs on Wisdom and Folly. English is one of the 2 predominant languages here, so it's easy to follow along. The people at the church were so welcoming to us, as I am finding out people here truly are soooo friendly. Well, bfn... I will post more pics when I get back later today.
Love,
Jeannie

3 comments:

Sammy said...

Wow that story with Todd and Elmer is quite amazing. I always wondered what ever happened with kids who get sponsored when they get older. It's cool to see some positive stories from those efforts.

WHAT!!! no croc pictures or references? Jajaja

:)

www.air1.com/morningshow said...

I did add another pic of a little girl at church wearing pink crocs!
They are everywhere, those and Starbucks!

Anonymous said...

Wow! hearing a story like that makes me want to help someone in need.

This story also made me think about how God has a meaning for our lives and that we are not here on earth for nothing.
-Tim